PLC Technician (Entry Level)
Reports To: Vice President of Engineering
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Richmond, VA
General Purpose of the Position:
Understands PLC Programmable Logic Controllers. Responsible for maintaining knowledge programming and reading Ladder Logic and troubleshoot any problems that show up in the code. Reads and interprets the input and output readings using testing equipment testers, light indicators. Troubleshoots the hardware and effectively repair all types of PLC system failures by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Uses knowledge of electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics, electro-mechanics, PLC based controls, and motor-drive control systems to solve production breakdowns, PLC migrations from old to new models or design new PLC systems.*
- Assists preparing professional and complete quotes by utilizing standard templates and pricing worksheets, and adhering to company pricing guidelines.*
- Troubleshoots customer manufacturing equipment issues, assist in repair and maintenance projects as required.*
- Performs project duties as assigned by the project manager, including system concept and design, specification of the bill of materials, programming of various control (PLC) devices, and on-site start-up and commissioning.*
- Makes field service calls to troubleshoot, fix, replace, or modify existing PLC systems and components.*
- Optimizes machine operation time for CIMTEC customers, by minimizing downtime due to PLC system deficiencies or issues.*
- Responds to customer inquiries, requests, and complaints with urgency, and ensure resolution in a timely manner.*
- Keeps all administrative documents accurate and current, including project files, mileage log, time tickets, and expense tickets.*
- Demonstrates attention to detail, accuracy, and organization in the execution of job duties.*
- Increases understanding of the products we sell, and ability to use them by participating in available training classes and through self-training.*
- Promotes a cooperative work environment, follow company policies and procedures, and act in harmony with the company mission statement.*
- Travels (50%): Travel is required to customer sites or training locations, including occasional stays for 3-4 nights.*
- Assists and participate with senior engineers in service calls, PLC migrations and automated system repairs at customer sites.*
- Reads, follows, and interprets electrical wiring diagrams and mechanical drawings.*
- Provides account intelligence to sales when communicating with or visiting customers to help CIMTEC win.*
- Issues purchase order requests for needed system components.*
- Understands basics of programmable logic controllers (PLC's), pneumatics and components such as industrial communication devices, Human-Machine Interfaces (HMI's), sensors and instrumentation.
- Understands the design, operation and application of DC control circuits.
- Understands modern industrial networks (Ethernet) and communication protocols Modbus TCP, Ethernet/IP, ProfiNet, and legacy serial communications (RS232/485).
- Demonstrates knowledge of Microsoft Office computer software and Windows operating systems, and general business productivity tools.
- Writes with basic technical competence.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD or SOLIDWORKS, and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) Ladder Logic programming language.
Associate's degree (A. A. / A. S.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or zero to three years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic Software Programming knowledge (Examples: C, C++, Java, Mathcad, LabVIEW, etc.
- Associate in PLC systems, pneumatics and control systems, mechatronics or electrical degree or equivalent from vocational or technical college/school.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Valid driver's license
- PLC training in ladder logic programming from any manufacturer including GE, Mitsubishi, Allen Bradley, or Omron
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Honesty and ethics
- Time management
- Oral and written communication skills
- Hands on mechanical or electrical skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move 25 pounds, and regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work in high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme cold (non-weather), extreme heat (non-weather), and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
Since 1992, Qualitrol International has been specializing in the repair and world-wide distribution of quality remanufactured PLC parts from the leading PLC manufacturers. PLC users around the world have relied on Qualitrol for unparalleled service and PLC products that work the first time and continue to work for years to come.
At Qualitrol, PLCs are serious business and the core of our business. PLCs are not an afterthought. Our team of PLC service professionals is dedicated to your satisfaction and service.
Qualitrol International is a division of CIMTEC Automation, LLC, one of the largest automation and control solutions providers in the southeastern United States, based in Charlotte, NC, and with offices in strategic locations in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
To inquire about this position or to forward your resume for consideration, please send an email to HR@cimtec.com; please reference the job title Senior Repair Technician in the subject line of your email.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction and assignments.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.