More than an automation and engineering provider, CIMTEC is a partner in your company's long-term success. The expertise of our staff has created a knowledge base and a level of service unmatched in the industrial automation market. See how we can help you select and apply the products that reduce risk and increase productivity.View All News >
GE Intelligent Platforms QuickPanel and QuickPanel View Operator Interfaces
Operatorinterfaces can monitor and control system operation, download information from central databases, and provide alarms if set parameters are exceeded.
Many production lines are highly automated, requiring little action by operators. However, it is imperative that operators are aware of everything that's happening in a production line, from the performance of a single station to the efficiency of the whole line. Operators rely on the interface systems to keep track of all activities within their zone. Operator interfaces can monitor and control system operation, download information from central databases, and provide alarms if set parameters are exceeded. Historically, this information was relayed to the operator via lights or audible alarms, and the operator could adjust the system operation via push-buttons and other controls. All of these systems are connected to the input/output terminals of the PLC.
Today, electronic panels have replaced many of the physical systems, resulting in fewer required I/O modules and less hardware cluttering production zones. In addition, it becomes easier to implement changes in production operations through electronic panels. GE Intelligent Platforms has created a line of operator interfaces to allow operators to access all of the information they need to keep their stations and lines running smoothly. Two of these operator interfaces are the QuickPanel and the QuickPanel View.
GE Intelligent Platforms QuickPanel and QuickPanel View
The QuickPanel by GE Intelligent Platforms is a versatile operator interface that has been implemented in a variety of applications for over a decade. The QuickPanel interface uses a proprietary operating system and is available in several screen sizes up to 12", depending on the application. The QuickPanel is compatible with several communication module options, and can be programmed with either QuickDesigner or Proficy Machine Edition View software packages.
QuickPanel View is a newer addition to the GE Intelligent Platform interface lines. Unlike the original QuickPanel, the QuickPanel View uses the Windows CE operating system, allowing GE Intelligent Platforms to take advantage of various Windows features and to allow the user to simulate QuickPanel View operation on a Windows-based PC. The QuickPanel View is available in sizes up to 15", and like the Quick Panel, has several communication option modules. The QuickPanel View can be programmed using Proficy Machine Edition View software, but this newer panel system can convert older QuickPanel projects to QuickPanel View projects. This allows operators to upgrade their systems fast without creating new projects from scratch.
QuickPanel and QuickPanel View Applications
Both the QuickPanel and QuickPanel View operator interfaces have been successfully deployed in a variety of industries and applications. Some of these environments include:
- Metal Casting - QuickPanel View is being used to monitor the process, enter parameters and annunciate alarms. In this particular case, the QuickPanel View, along with a PLC communication module, replaced a GE OIT and an ASCII/Basic module in a GE Series 6 PLC system. The range checking and data scaling code that was in the ASCII/Basic module was moved to the QuickPanel View.
- Detention Center - QuickPanel View is being used to monitor and control doors in a court holding cell area. The QuickPanel View has a Genius communication option module and communicates to a GE Series 90-70 PLC via a Genius LAN.
- Wastewater Treatment - QuickPanels and QuickPanel Views are being used to monitor, control and annunciate alarms on several processes. Depending on the system, the QuickPanel and QuickPanel Views are communicating to GE Series 90- 30 and Series 90-70 PLCs via serial and Ethernet connections.
- Watering System QuickPanel View is being used for process monitoring, parameter entry and alarm annunciation on a greenhouse watering system. The QuickPanel View is communicating to a GE Series 90-30 PLC via Ethernet.
- Honing Machine QuickPanel is being used for process monitoring, parameter entry and alarm annunciation on a honing machine. The OEM has set up the project so that different measurement systems can be used. It is communicating to a GE Series 90-30 PLC via Ethernet.
GE Intelligent Platform QuickPanel and QuickPanel View operator interfaces have drastically simplified and streamlined the information flow between automated systems and the system operators and managers, resulting in more efficient station and plant operations.